Expected Learner Outcomes for Conference Sessions
(In Alphabetical Order by Session Presenter)
1.) Define pulsatile tinnitus and its presenting symptoms. 2.) Identify causes of pulse-synchronous pulsatile tinnitus. 3.) Review radiology findings in patients with pulsatile tinnitus. 4.) Recognize a cause of pulsatile tinnitus that is amenable to surgical intervention.
1. Identify at least 3 potential sources for dysphagia, dysphonia, and cognitive impairment related to critical care in the ICU. 2. Identify and describe at least 6 mechanisms of post-extubation dysphagia. 3. Identify at least 3 changes COVID-19 had on SLP assessments and treatments in the ICU.
1) Provide a differential diagnosis in a proposed case study of aphasia 2) Select evidence-based interventions/approaches to the care of an individual with aphasia 3) Apply a case-study model to their personal practices 4) Explain the process of specialty certification in the area of neurogenic communication disorders
1. Describe the risk for literacy impairment in children with speech sound disorders 2. Explain the importance of an evidence-based approach to assessment 3. Discuss possibilities for treatment and service delivery
1) List the reasons being an active listener is important in your practice. 2) Identify your unique traits and embrace them. 3) Find the humor in your practice.
1.Develop key leadership skills for team participation 2.Identify weaknesses and provide specific interventions in the general education classroom 3. Target vocabulary and language in everyday activities and routines 4. Empower parents to target vocabulary and language in the home
1. Demonstrate a basic understanding of differences versus disorders in speech and language development. 2. Describe 3-5 common misconceptions/mistakes made when working with bilingual children. 3. Answer the following questions: a.) “Am I the most appropriate clinician to be evaluating/treating this child?” b.) “What should I do if there are no other treatment/evaluation options available?” c.) “Where do I start in evaluating/treating my bilingual student/patient?”
1. Comprehend the current evidence for treating speech intelligibility deficits in individuals with Parkinson’s disease 2. Evaluate the role of a novel speech treatment in addressing speech intelligibility deficits in individuals with Parkinson’s disease 3. Apply delayed auditory feedback to treat speech rate problems in clinical population
1. Describe the capacity demands model as it applies to functional treatment of mTBI with tinnitus 2. Identify – the distinct and overlapping symptoms of mTBI and tinnitus 3. Describe strategies for managing tinnitus and mTBI
1. Recognize the Principles and Rules of the ASHA Code of Ethics; 2. Summarize the processes for filing ethical complaints to the ASHA Board of Ethics; and 3. Utilize ethical decision-making strategies.
1. List the main risk factors associated with chronicity/persistence of childhood stuttering. 2. Summarize treatment efficacy research of interventions for young children who stutter. 3. Compare and contrast direct, indirect, and contingency-based treatment approaches.
1. Explain why AAC supports and services should be considered an extension of a more traditional therapy model. 2. Integrate AAC into existing therapeutic contexts for clients with complex communication needs. 3. Identify and reduce barriers to AAC assessment and treatment.
1. Identify aspects of English grammar, including grammatical morphology and sentence structures, that are typically absent or problematic in the writing of adolescents with language-literacy disorders. 2. Use artifact analysis as an assessment technique for adolescents with language-literacy disorders. 3. Increase comfort level treating language-literacy disorders using five sentence study techniques: A) combining sentences, B) dividing sentences, C) sabotaged sentences, D) describing picture sequences, and E) paraphrasing.
1. Identify 4 key areas that cause burn out and overwhelm in SLP jobs 2. List 3 reasons to self advocate at work 3. Describe 4 elements of self advocacy 4. Identify the 4 steps to self advocacy
1. Identify the key elements of an individual education plan. 2. Write measurable annual goals in the SMART goal format. 3. Write a ‘schedule of services’ page that is easily understood by caregivers and teachers, and will be able to explain least restrictive environment.
1. Describe how infants develop gesture and refine it as co-speech meaning making influenced by culture 2. Identify the different types of gestures 3. Recognize the systematic ways gesture is used to accomplish communication
1) write practical goals for older children and teens that stutter 2) plan functional activities for older children and teens that stutter 3) plan parent training activities for parents of older children and teens that stutter
1. Describe noteworthy policies, devices, and implementation of AAC in speech-language therapy and evaluations. 2. Summarize the role of the speech-language pathologist when working with AAC devices. 3. List and describe the most pressing current issues facing SLPs who work with AAC devices.
1. Describe new policies that impact adult speech-language pathologists and their services. 2. Summarize the role of the geriatric speech-language pathologist and locate resources to share with others. 3. List and describe the most pressing current issues facing SLP providers who work with adult and geriatric patients.
1.Describe new policies that impact treatment and evaluation of communicators with language variation. 2. Summarize the role of the speech-language pathologist when working with language variations, and locate resources to share with others. 3. List describe the most pressing current issues facing SLPs who work with patients with language variations.
1) Describe new eligibility guidelines found within the P&P. 2.) Summarize the role of the school SLP on literacy teams and locate resources to share with others. 3) List and describe the most pressing current issues facing school-based and pediatric providers.
1.Describe noteworthy new audiology practices and policies. 2.Summarize the role of the audiologist and locate resources to share with others. 3. List and describe the most pressing issues facing audiologists in Oklahoma today.